Speak with an attorney

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

If you are being sexually harassed, discriminated against because of your national origin, race, religion, age, disability, or because of your genetic information, you need an EEOC attorney. The trial attorneys at Millar & Mixon are experienced in recovering on EEOC claims, and they handle hundreds of EEOC claims per year. Should you have questions about the EEOC or illegal discrimination at work, call us for a free telephone consultation at 770-955-0100.

What is the EEOC?

Did a friend or coworker tell you to file a EEOC complaint because of discrimination at work? The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is a federal agency that administers and enforces civil rights laws against workplace discrimination. The EEOC investigates complaints of illegal discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, and genetic information. The EEOC also investigates claims of retaliation for reporting, participating in, and/or opposing any discriminatory practices. For example, an employee who testifies on behalf of another employee about illegal discrimination, or makes a complaint of illegal discrimination may have a claim when the employer retaliates.

Usually, an employee has to file a complaint (also called a charge of discrimination) against the employer within 180 days of the discriminatory or retaliatory conduct. In many cases, failure to file a complaint with the EEOC can prevent the employee from being able sue the employer. When the illegal discrimination is based on race there is another civil rights law that does not require prior filing of an EEOC complaint: 42 U.S.C. Section 1981.

There is also a deadline to file suit when the EEOC finishes its investigation. A lawsuit that is not filed within 90 days of receipt of a Notice of Right to Sue is likely to be thrown out of court. If you have received a Notice of Right to Sue, it is important for you to contact a lawyer. The lawyers at Millar & Mixon can help you with a Notice of Right to Sue received for an EEOC complaint – call us at 770-955-0100.

Can I file an EEOC complaint without an attorney?

Working with an attorney could save you a trip to the EEOC offices and help you state your claim more accurately. Also, an experienced attorney can advise you about the EEOC investigation and help you collect evidence to support your claim. You will also have to swear that the EEOC complaint is truthful under penalty of perjury. Having one of the experienced attorneys at Millar & Mixon help you through this process could prevent a lot of worrying! You can get a free telephone consultation by calling 770-955-0100 and asking to speak to Attorney Steve Mixon.

Will I have to pay the EEOC to file my complaint?

No. There is no filing fee charged by the EEOC. If someone at the EEOC asks you for money or tells you that you have to pay the EEOC to file a complaint, it is a scam. The EEOC is a federally funded government agency and it does not charge filing fees. If you have questions about the EEOC process, call Millar & Mixon at 770-955-0100.